If you have in no way heard of Durham, or the Tees Valley, you could possibly know the surrounding locations of Newcastle, Northumberland and North Yorkshire. Durham itself is usually a university town, and the area can also be dwelling to Alnwick Castle, which was famously used as Hogwarts College in the Harry Potter films. It'll come as no surprise then that there is certainly an international airport serving this region.
See what else you didn't know about this airport.
1. The airport changed its name from Durham International Airport to Durham Tees Valley Airport in 2004 to assist construct around the previous achievement and website to continue as one of several UK's fastest increasing airports.
2. Prior to being a industrial airport, the website was an RAF base, Middleton-St-George. The final Victoria Cross to become awarded posthumously to an airman of Planet War 2 was provided to Andrew Mynarski, who was primarily based right here.
three. The RAF base closed down in 1963. Instead of it falling into disrepair, the neighborhood authorities had a vision that the airfield may very well be an airport. The RAF lastly left in September 1964.
4. Durham Airport was opened in 1966 by Queen Margaritha of Sweden, as well as the 1st scheduled service from the airport was to Manchester.
5. The airport quickly became a prosperous regional airport offering the persons of your north east with a simple to get to airport, serving numerous destinations, and also a gateway to the north east for passengers from abroad.
6. In 2002 the airport was modernised. A brand new access road towards the terminal was produced, the car parking was enhanced and an enhanced terminal constructing was built.
7. Durham, Newcastle, Northumberland and North Yorkshire and also other nearby and regional tourist attractions are within straightforward attain for passengers arriving at Durham Tees Valley Airport
eight. Guests to the region may perhaps pick out to explore the buying, nightlife and amazing beaches in and around Newcastle. County Durham provides the castles, museums and also the popular North of England Open Air Museum at Beamish, and Durham Cathedral, regarded to on the list of best cathedrals in the world. The Yorkshire Dales provide unrivaled scenery what ever the season in addition to well-known hospitality and quite a few events and festivals.
9. Durham Tees Valley Airport has continued to grow and now serves destinations in the West Indies, and Europe along with to locations inside the UK
10. You can find at present 15 airlines and vacation providers flying out of Durham Tees Valley Airport, creating it a viable option to Manchester and Newcastle airports.